Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sights of D.C.


Well, before Melvin got sick, we did get to see Washington, D.C. Sam had never been, and I had only been once before, so here's a glimpse of what we saw...

Iwo Jima-this is one of my favorites, because as you walk around it, it looks like they are raising the flag. I just think this statue is amazing!

The Pentagon Memorial-dedicated September 11, 2008. They used limestone from the building that they saved from where the plane crashed into the building and wrote the date of the attack on it. The benches have each person's name on them. As you read their name, the way you are facing tells you if they were in the building, or in the airplane. The youngest person that died was 2 years old-her sister and parents were with her. The memorial is beautiful and artistic and a wonderful way to remember those who lost their lives on that terrible day. 
My Parents!!! We got to meet up with them because Dad is contracted to D.C. through December-Mom flew in for a long weekend. It was really nice to see them and have "tour guides" around D.C.
Gardens at Mt. Vernon-apparently our first president was quite the gardener! The acres around his house are beautiful and the gardens are still used today!
Mt. Vernon-what a beautiful house! The "stone" is actually wood painted with sand thrown on it to look like stone-I was impressed. 

I must say, I don't think there is enough time in a year to see everything in D.C. but it is an awesome place to visit and learn more about our country's history.

More to come.....

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Oh I LOVE DC! Adam and I are going to try and go in a few years...after we pay off the honeymoon! And you're right, even if you had 2 weeks it'd still be impossible to see everything.